Climate Strike 3.jpg

Ames held a climate protest from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 20 at Ames City Hall. Different signs and speeches encouraged attendees to change habits to help the environment.

A letter to the editor on Oct. 3 argued that youth activism is irresponsible and only happens because parents and educational institutions “indoctrinate” students, specifically in regard to climate change.

But if we just look realistically at what's happening around us, it’s impossible to ignore why young people all over the world feel such urgency to speak out about climate policy.

We have 11 years to stop “irreversible damage from climate change,” according to the United Nations, so when Greta Thunberg says “you have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words,” she means it literally. 

Irresponsible parenting isn't forcing students out of school to protest. Years of inaction on climate change is.

Corporations and governments all over the world have proven they don't care about these activists' futures. When they disregard years of evidence pointing to climate disaster, they tell young folks like Thunberg, Kulsum Rifa, Makaśa Looking Horse and many others their future is not as important as profit.

While some try to demean young activists as “easily indoctrinated,” the United Nations is commending these young people for their advocacy in its own demand for climate action, describing them as inspirational. 

If you think students need to "stay in school" instead of protesting, then you should be out there doing something about the climate. Do not expect them to sit in silence as their futures crumble. 

To be clear, last week's letter to the editor wasn’t actually against “indoctrination.” The writer went on to advocate students be taught to “praise our founders, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and God.”

The letter wasn’t meant to advocate for intellectual independence. Rather, it advocated intentional ignorance of environmental realities. 

Do not expect them to ignore science.

Science tells us human activity is leading to an increase in global temperature. Glaciers and ice sheets are melting. Sea levels are rising. Extreme weather events are increasing in both frequency and severity. 

Do not insult young people by telling them to be quiet and sit down when they are right to be fighting for their lives. 

It is our fault they have to.

Climate change is a popular delusion promoted by ninnies. Yes, indeed, the schools have been indoctrinating you gullible kids in this junk science. The global warming doomsday cult has been making dire predictions for half a century now, none of which have come true. That should be a Clue to normal, rational people that climate change is false. However, to True Believers, facts have no charm for them.

This is nothing new. When I graduated from high school in 1973, our teachers made us read Paul Ehrlich’s book, “The Population Bomb,” which predicted that overpopulation would cause war, famine, disease, and death. Ehrlich predicted that most of the population of the USA would die from starvation in the 1970s and 1980s. There were lots of idiots, liberals mostly, who believed this crap back in the 1970s just as fervently as global warmers believe today the Earth will boil us all to death.

Ehrlich’s book opened with this passage:

“The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate...”

Sound familiar? It sounds just like global warming alarmists who claim it’s too late to stop runaway global warming. Every huckster knows its critical to stampede gullible rubes into making a rash decision NOW before they have time to think twice. Needless to say, your parents did not starve to death in the 1970s in a mass famine. In fact, we produced more food than ever before. Likewise, we did not suffer mass shortages of everything as Ehrlich predicted, but, rather, everything became more plentiful and cheaper.

The lesson here is that you are being played for fools by the planet boilers. Wise up. Don’t be a chump.

The reason kids are protesting climate change is to cut class, just like kids have done for decades. In my day, kids would cut class to protest the Vietnam War, then go camp out in the nearby woods the rest of the day, smoking dope. Please, spare me the preposterous claim that kids care about climate change. There was even a survey of the juvenile climate change protestors where most admitted that they went to the demonstrations to get out of school. The reason young students adopt crazy causes like climate change is simple attention seeking.

Greta Thunberg is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the global warming religion. She is sixteen years old and considered an authority by global warmers. Let me explain something basic to you: Sixteen year olds don’t know jack about anything. You can’t leave them alone for any prolonged amount of time without fear they will do something stupid where they might harm themselves. It’s insane that the UN would allow this rude, obnoxious brat to pitch a temper tantrum at its podium.

Thunberg suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome, a neurological disorder that places her on the autism spectrum. Symptoms include anger, aggression, compulsive behavior, persistent repetition of words, and intense interest in a limited number of things. Such people are unable to discern nuances and, so, are prone to think in absolute, black and white, terms. These mental disabilities lend themselves to becoming an angry and irrational partisan in political causes. What’s worse, adults are using her as a hand puppet to promote their views. This is shameful. Such child abuse should not be inspirational to the Left but should be condemned by normal, moral, rational people.

It’s particularly foolish to pose support for climate change as a false dilemma between your future and profit. If you don’t run organizations at a profit, then you are running at a loss which means you will go bankrupt. If you managed everything so that it goes bankrupt, you have no future.

Science does not support the religion of climate change. If human activity is driving up global temperature, why isn’t the global temperature rising? It’s been in hiatus for two decades. Likewise, extreme weather events are not increasing in frequency nor severity. They are about the same as always. We had a year recently where no hurricanes reached the coast of the US. How would no hurricanes hitting the East Coast indicate more and worse weather.

If the sea levels are rising, why aren’t they rising? The sea level in New York harbor is about the same as when the Dutch settled it in 1624. The Florida Keys, which are only three feet above water, are not submerged. They are about the same three feet above water they have always been since the Indians camped out on them a thousand years ago. Likewise, if you go to Hawaii, the beaches there are not flooded. The ocean level at Waikiki Beach is the same as when King Kamehameha surfed there in 1800.

Ninety-nine percent of all the ice in the world is locked up in Antarctica and Greenland. Were it all to melt, sea levels would rise 200 feet. There is no chance of that. A summer heat wave in Antarctica is −30°C, sixty degrees below the melting point of ice. The temperature rarely climbs above freezing and, then, only briefly. There is no chance of this ice melting and inundating the world, as the climate crazies claim.

But what about the glaciers outside of Antarctica and Greenland? Glacier ice composes only a fraction of a percent of world ice. If all 200,000 of the glaciers in the temperate latitudes of the Earth melted, the sea level would rise two feet. High tide in New York Harbor is five feet. At worst, we could expect only a fraction of the glacial ice to melt, which means a sea level rise that would amount to a small fraction of the normal tide.

If science supported global warming, what would prove it false? If nothing, then it is not a rational belief. Educated people should reject it. If there is something that would prove global warming false, what is it, where has it been tested, and what was the result?

Science requires a falsifiable proposition that can prove a thesis true or false. The falsifiable proposition is the nub of experiment which is the foundation of science. So, if climate change is proven by science, what is its falsifiable proposition? There is none. No falsifiable proposition, no science.

When the planet boilers claim science supports them, they are arguing by assertion, a fallacious form of logic where you simply assert something false and see if people accept it. Most climate change arguments are made with fallacious logic, which is to say, demagoguery.

The climate change movement is no different than the medieval apocalyptic cults which prophesied hell if people did not get right with God. The global warming doomsday cult has replaced obeying the Ten Commandments with their own commandments to recycle, weatherize your home, use renewable power, cut down on your water, stop eating meat, use efficient light bulbs, drive a hybrid, and so on. They substitute Gaia for the Lord God. Instead of the catechism, they demand you obey the Politically Correct Narrative.

Intelligent, educated people should reject all of this indoctrination. The global warming doomsday cult is populated by hysterical halfwits. You should not join them, but rather laugh at their nonsense.