This is in response to the Oct. 17 letter, "Support the NCAA Indian name ruling."

I agree whole-heartedly. It is degrading to American Indians that anyone dare use any of their words, even if the Native Americans in tribes have a good standing relationship with the collegiate institutions in question - as is the case with the Seminole Tribe of Florida and Florida State University. Iowa comes from the American Indian word for "The Beautiful Land," therefore the University of Iowa needs to change its name to "The University of The Commonwealth of the Area Between Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota." Oh wait a minute, how insensitive of me, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota all come from American Indian words, too. I demand each of those states change their names, as well. I find the hypocrisy of the University of Iowa disgusting, considering its own namesake.

I'm also outraged that Professor Kaufman would be so insensitive as to use the word "Indian," since this is degrading to the native people of North America.

Furthermore, I demand that the NCAA place a similar ban on the University of Notre Dame's "Fighting Irish" as this is demeaning to anyone of Irish descent, the Ole Miss Rebels (also offends Union Soldiers), the Arizona State Sun-Devils (offends Christians), the DePaul Blue Demons (offends Christians), the University of Massachusetts Minutemen (offends women), the University of Pennsylvania Quakers (offends Quakers), the University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners (offends Wile E. Coyote), the University of Oklahoma Sooners (offends rule followers), the University of Tampa Spartans (offends Trojans), the Troy State Trojans (offends Spartans) and the University of Hawaii Vulcans (offends Spock).

And last but not least, I demand the NCAA places a similar ban on the Cyclones. Not only is Iowa an American Indian word, but the cyclone symbol is horribly offensive and demeaning to anyone who has ever lost a loved one in one of those horrible storms.

Jon von Gillern

Alumnus

St. Louis, Mo.

Post a comment