Congress Stock

On Monday night, Congress approved a short-term plan to fund the government until Feb. 8, ending the three-day government shutdown.

Here are some takeaways from the shutdown:

• Congress has received a three-week extension to settle on a bill to fund the government for the rest of the year.

• Both parties have to come to an agreement, which they are having trouble doing, on funding for DACA before it ends on March 5.

• Mitch McConnell, Senate majority leader, said if Congress hasn’t come up with a solution for the fate of DACA by Feb. 8, he would allow a “fair and open” debate on immigration.

• The bill approved funding for the Children's Health Insurance Program for six years.

• The president has demanded border security, including his wall, be included in the bill.

• Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer took down his offer of $25 billion to fund the border wall.

The main issue keeping both parties from passing a bill is immigration. They would need to come together and find a middle ground soon to not only keep the government open, but to protect the lives of the Dreamers as well.

“Congress has to find a middle ground because both Republicans and Democrats need the government to function, so you have to pass some sort of budget...,” said Steffen Schmidt, professor in political science, “...and by one way or another they always end up finding a way to pass a budget.”

Information used from The New York Times, The Associated Press and PBS.

zwadeh zwadeh

useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!..
Tampa Title Loans