PHOTOS: Easterling Engineering

W. Samuel Easterling a Montague-Betts Professor of Structural Steel Design and Department Head is one of many looking for the spot as the next dean of the College of Engineering. Easterling said people are very important, not only students but faculty as well. “People are the core, they are our most valuable asset and key to success,” Easterling said. Easterling spoke in the Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium at 2 p.m. Monday March 25.

Iowa State alumnus W. Samuel Easterling has been announced as Iowa State's next James L. and Katherine S. Melsa Dean of Engineering.

Easterling is currently the Montague-Betts Professor of Structural Steel Design as well as the head of the Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Virginia Tech.

“Dr. Easterling is an accomplished educator, scholar, and administrator, and has long been a leader in his discipline of structural engineering,” said President Wendy Wintersteen in a press release. “He is a great choice to build on the College of Engineering’s excellence and national prestige, and we are proud to welcome him back to campus.” 

Easterling's tenure will begin on July 15. He earned his bachelor's degree and master's degrees in civil engineering from West Virginia University. He then earned his doctorate in structural engineering form Iowa State.

“It’s an incredible and humbling opportunity to come back to Ames and lead the college where I earned my Ph.D.,” Easterling said in a press release. “I look forward to working with our students, faculty, staff and alumni to build upon the legacy of those who came before me and, with their support, helping the college climb to even greater heights.”