Iowa_capitol.jpg

Iowans turned out to vote at a record-breaking rate on Tuesday to determine who will be on the ballot for the midterm elections in November.

Iowans broke the 2014 record for voter turnout this week by casting 279,124 ballots according to the Secretary of State. The state’s total turnout rate was 13.11 percent, and 14.31 percent of Story County voters participated in the election.

Helping spur the voter boom was a hotly contested democratic gubernatorial primary. Businessman Fred Hubbell won the nomination, receiving 55.5 percent of the vote. He will face incumbent Gov. Kim Reynolds in November, who ran uncontested in the Republican primary.

In the Libertarian primary for governor, former Libertarian Party of Iowa Executive Director Jake Porter edged out Marco Battaglia, winning 58.7 percent of the vote.

In the race for Iowa Secretary of State, Deidre DeJear secured the Democratic nomination, receiving 52 percent of the vote. DeJear will face incumbent Paul Pate in November. If she wins, she will become Iowa’s first black statewide elected official.

In a close race for the Republican nomination for Secretary of Agriculture, incumbent Mike Naig fell 233 votes short of securing his place on the ballot. He will face challengers Ray Gaesser, Chad Igels, Dan Zumbach and Craig Lang once again at the state convention on June 16, where party leaders will decide who will face democrat Tim Gannon in November.

Rep. Steve King, making a bid for his ninth term, won the Republican nomination for the U.S. House of Representatives’ fourth district seat.

J.D. Scholten of Sioux City won 48.3 percent of the vote in the Democratic primary for the fourth district and will face King, as well as libertarian candidate Charles Aldrich in November.

For more information on all primary candidates, see the Daily’s primary guide. For full election results and turnout information, visit the Secretary of State’s website.

Amanda Baird

Well that depends upon the damage report of the pump. Let me tell you what will happen to a pump if it goes dry run. If a pump goes dry run then cavitation then pitting which leads to the damage of pump's casing and court ordered education programs impeller. It might also leads to vibration in the pump. Chronic dry run leads to the damage of bearing and shaft sleeve. Best way to find the dry run of a pump is to touch the pump casing and feel the temperature out of it.