Upcoming visits to Iowa: Julian Castro and Kamala Harris will be at the Story County Democrats Soup Supper on Feb. 23.
Democrat: Bernie Sanders
Name: Bernie Sanders
Political activity: Sanders identifies as a Democratic socialist. He currently serves as the junior senator from Vermont. Sanders ran for president in the 2016 election against Hillary Clinton.
Date announced: Sanders officially announced his 2020 campaign for president on Feb. 19, 2019.
Trips to Iowa: Sanders toured Iowa in March, but has yet to visit Ames for his 2020 campaign.
The Sun Room of the Memorial Union was packed Sunday afternoon when Bernie Sanders came to e…
Just days before final votes are cast, former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sande…
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, the once-popular Democratic presidential candidate who nearly k…
DES MOINES — Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., urged voters to consider candidates' policies over …
- "I am asking you to join me today as part of an unprecedented and historic grassroots campaign that will begin with at least a million people from across the country."
- "Brothers and sisters, we have a lot of work in front of us. If we are prepared to stand together, there is no end to what the great people of our nation can accomplish."
Democrat: Cory Booker
Name: Cory Booker
Political activity: Booker served as the mayor of Newark from 2006 until 2013, when he assumed office as the junior senator from New Jersey.
Date announced: Booker officially announced his campaign for president on Feb. 1, 2019.
Trips to Iowa:
As another round of tuition increases looms over Iowa State, presidential hopeful Sen. Cory …
Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., delivered a message of unity Saturday at a crowded Kum & Go Th…
- "I'm going to release the email about racial profiling and I understand that the penalty comes with potential ousting from the Senate."
- "The history of our nation is defined by collective action; by interwoven destinies of slaves and abolitionists; of those born here and those who chose America as home; of those who took up arms to defend our country, and those who linked arms to challenge and change it."
Democrat: Kamala Harris
Name: Kamala Harris
Political activity: Harris served as California's attorney general from Jan. 2011 until Jan. 2017, when she assumed office as the junior senator for California.
Date announced: Jan. 21, 2019
Trips to Iowa: Harris made her first campaign appearance in Iowa at 9 p.m. Jan. 28 at Drake University.
Three presidential candidates stopped by the annual Story County Democrats soup supper Satur…
Sen. Kamala Harris introduced herself as a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate to Iowans …
- "I believe that a child going without an education is a crime."
"There is a lot of work to be done to make sure our leaders reflect the people they are supposed to represent. The more diverse a group of decision makers is, the more informed the decision will be. Until we achieve full representation, we all should understand we are falling short of the ideals of our country."
Democrat: Kirsten Gillibrand
Name: Kirsten Gillibrand
Political activity: Gillibrand served as the representative from New York's 20th District from 2007 until 2009, when she was appointed to fill former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's vacant senate seat.
Date announced: Gillibrand announced that she was running for president on January 15, 2019 and has formed an exploratory committee to begin raising money for a 2020 run.
Trips to Iowa: Gillibrand held events across Iowa during the weekend of the 2019 Women's March.
- “I’m going to run for president of the United States, because as a young mom I am gonna fight for other people’s kids as hard as I fight for my own, which is why I believe health care is a right and not a privilege.”
- "Once President Trump was elected I think something changed, and I think it changed for women."
Democrat: Julian Castro
Name: Julian Castro
Political activity: Castro was the mayor of San Antonio, TX from June, 2009 until July, 2014. From July, 2014 until January, 2017, Castro served as the U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Date announced: Castro officially announced his campaign for president on Jan. 12, 2019.
Trips to Iowa: Castro will be at the Story County Democrats Soup Supper on Feb. 23.
- "We know that in our free market economy some will prosper more than others. What we don't accept is the idea that some folks won't even get a chance."
- "Now, in Texas, we believe in the rugged individual. Texas may be the one place where people actually still have bootstraps, and we expect folks to pull themselves up by them. But we also recognize there are some things we can't do alone. We have to come together and invest in opportunity today for prosperity tomorrow."
Democrat: Tulsi Gabbard
Name: Tulsi Gabbard
Political activity: Gabbard is the representative for Hawaii's 2nd District. She previously served on the Honolulu City Council, the Democratic National Committee and the Hawaii House of Representatives.
Date announced: Tulsi Gabbard announced her bid for president on Jan. 11, 2019.
Trips to Iowa: Gabbard has not yet visited Iowa as part of her 2020 campaign.
- "As a combat veteran, I know the cost of war."
- “I have learned how important it is that we have a commander-in-chief who exercises good judgment, who has foresight, who has the military mind-set to go and understand what the consequences of a military action is, to analyze that action and know what the results of that will be before that action is taken,”
Democrat: Elizabeth Warren
Name: Elizabeth Warren
Political activity: Warren is the Democratic senator from Massachusetts, ranking member of the Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection and vice chair of the Senate Democratic Caucus
Date announced: Warren announced an exploratory committee for president on December 31, 2018.
Trips to Iowa: She took a three day trip to Iowa from Jan. 4 to Jan. 6
- "'Middle class' used to be synonymous with secure, with steady, with boring, because middle-class people were people who were pretty much safe from the time they first started work on through retirement and until their deaths. No longer."
- "Others have said it before me. If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu. And so it is important that we have women in the United States Senate - strong women, women who are there to help advance an agenda that is important to women."
Democrat: Andrew Yang
Name: Andrew Yang
Political activity: Yang is an entrepreneur and businessman who has not held public office.
Date announced: Nov. 6, 2017
Trips to Iowa: Yang visited Ames on Jan. 31.
2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang visited Ames Thursday to talk about his p…
- "The opposite of Donald Trump is an Asian man who likes math."
- “The market rewards business leaders for making things more efficient. Efficiency doesn’t love normal people.”
Democrat: John Delaney
Name: John Delaney
Political activity: Delaney was the Democratic representative from Maryland's 6th District from Jan. 3, 2013 until Jan. 3, 2019.
Date announced: July 28, 2017
Trips to Iowa: In December 2018, Delaney visited Iowa for the 20th time.
- "Climate change is the environmental challenge of this generation, and it is imperative that we act before it's too late."
- "During their service, men and women in our Armed Forces live by a common creed, promising never to leave a soldier behind. We should live by the same principle. When our veterans are asked to travel hundreds of miles for care that's offered right next door, we simply aren't living up to that standard, and something has to change."
- "We have to start grounding our policies in facts and recognize that a strong economy is critical for funding progressive priorities."
Democrat: Richard Ojeda
Editor's Note: Ojeda officially suspended his campaign Jan. 25 due to funding issues, according to his campaign's Facebook page.
Name: Richard Ojeda
Political activity: Ojeda represented District 7 of the West Virginia State Senate from 2016 to 2019.
Date announced: He filed candidacy papers on November 11, 2018 and resigned from his State Senate seat on January 10, 2019.
Trips to Iowa: Ojeda has not yet visited Iowa as part of his 2020 campaign.
“The reason why the Democratic Party fell from grace is because they become nothing more than elitist. That was it. Goldman Sachs, that’s who they were. The Democratic Party is supposed to be the party that fights for the working class and that’s exactly what I do.”
Republican: Donald Trump
Name: Donald J. Trump
Political activity: Trump is currently serving as the 45th President of the United States of America.
Date announced: Trump filed to run for re-election in 2020 on January 20, 2017.
Trips to Iowa: Trump's last scheduled campaign trip to Iowa was on Oct. 9, 2018 in Council Bluffs.
DES MOINES — In an unusual move for a president-elect, Donald Trump stopped in Iowa on his U…
President-elect Donald Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence will return to Iowa for a s…
DES MOINES — Various passing cars honked in support as over 200 Anti-Trump protesters gather…
In what was a tight race that ebbed and flowed between presidential candidates Hillary Clint…
"I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."
"Our country is in serious trouble. We don't have victories any more. We used to have victories but [now] we don't have them. When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let's say, China, in a trade deal? They kill us. I beat China all the time. All the time."