You are the owner of this article.

How could the proposed tuition increases impact you? Here's our breakdown.

• 0
  • 3 min to read

With the Iowa Board of Regents facing midyear budget cuts from the state legislature, the governing body must now decide how to return previously allocated funding between Iowa State and the University of Iowa.

Stateapropsandtuition.jpg

The relationship between the amount of state appropriations and tuition that that goes toward the total revenue of Iowa State has changed drastically since 2001. Data from the Iowa Board of Regents.

Additionally, the Regents is looking to raise in-state, out-of-state and graduate tuition rates to help absorb the continued trend of lagging higher education funding by the legislature.

At Iowa State, the Regents are also looking to better standardize differential tuition among both undergraduate and graduate students.

The Regents are set to approve these increases at their June meeting — nine months after the expected tuition proposal in October.

Next year, President Mike Richards said his goal is to set tuition rates for the 2019 to 2020 year by the end of the 2019 calendar year.

So, what’s in the proposal? Here’s a breakdown:

Base tuition increase at Iowa State

Differential tuition + international student impact + mandatory fees

— By Alex Connor, Emily Berch, Willa Colville, Tristan Wade, Jill O'Brien