IMG_4213.JPG

Iowa State President Steven Leath addresses the student government over concerns regarding his use of a university owned aircraft 

Iowa State President Steven Leath said Friday that Chief Information Officer Jim Kurtenbach served as his flight instructor starting in October 2014, helping him earn his Instrument Flight Rules certification.

Leath told the Iowa State Daily in an interview Friday morning that Kurtenbach began flight lessons with him in late 2014, before he was announced as interim CIO in November. Leath said the timing worked nicely because they could fly over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.

Leath has faced questions after revelations that he used two university-owned aircraft for both personal and business use. In a July 2015 trip, Leath made a hard landing at an Illinois airport resulting in $12,000 in damages.

Leath said the lessons ended on either Jan. 10 or Jan. 12, 2015, after Kurtenbach, who previously worked at the Ames-based tech company Workiva, was hired as interim CIO. At the time, Kurtenbach and the IT department reported to Provost Jonathan Wickert. 

"The Provost started talking to Jim [Kurtenbach] in early October, when Jim Davis announced his retirement, about coming back to the university in an interim [CIO IT] position," Leath said. "During those discussions, Jim [Kurtenbach] realized he was going to come back and have some flexibility in the fall.

"And [he] asked me if we wanted to fly together and that [he] might be able to help me finish up the IFR training," Leath said.

Kurtenbach was named interim CIO in Nov. 20, 2014, and the new role officially began on Jan. 1, 2015. Kurtenbach began at Iowa State in 1991 as a professor and was the associate dean in the College of Engineering from 2010 to 2013.

However, Leath said that because Kurtenbach would be coming back to a full-time Iowa State position, they came to the conclusion that Kurtenbach probably shouldn't be his flight instructor once he returned. 

"So he came back, [and his] first day in the office I believe was Jan. 4, in the interim CIO role," Leath said. "I took my last lesson with him about [Jan. 10] and have not taken another lesson with him ever since.

"I took lessons through him for less than 90 days."

Kurtenbach is licensed as a flight instructor for "airplane single and multiengine instrument airplane" and has been a licensed pilot since 2005. Leath was most recently issued his private pilot's license on Jan. 14, 2015, according to the Federal Aviation Administration website.

There have also been questions about Kurtenbach being hired into a permanent CIO position without a formal job search by the university. Iowa State announced Kurtenbach would have the "interim" removed from his title on March 24, 2016, and the permanent position began July 1, 2016.

Leath said that at the time of the hiring and lessons, the interim CIO position did not report to him and that he wasn't involved in the negotiations to bring him back to Iowa State.

After the restructuring of administration earlier this year, Kurtenbach and his department now report to Leath. Kurtenbach is in charge of searching for and implementing a new enterprise resource planning system, which is software that will affect many university stakeholders.

The university's switch to a new cloud-based ERP system will cost the university an estimated $25 to $40 million that Leath said will bring improvements to Iowa State in areas including storage and security. 

"It's the biggest fundamental change in our administrative area in more than 20 years," Leath said. "I felt that needed to report directly to me because it affects everything from student life to finances to everything we do."

The Daily's Alex Hanson contributed to this story.

jaden smith

Top Online Degrees for a Career in Cybersecurity
Masters Degree

alex jou

I read this bit of composing and view it as the quintessential blog.free walking tour stockholm

jaden smith

The data you have posted is exceptionally helpful. The destinations you have alluded was great. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing..Best Hunting Knives

jaden smith

Extremely fascinating online journal. Alot of websites I see nowadays don’t generally give anything that I’m keen on, yet I’m most definately intrigued by this one. Recently believed that I would post and let you know.mobogenie download

alex jou

The essential theory given is respectable. Can't be any better.chevy avalanche car covers

jaden smith

I can see that you are a specialist at your field! I am dispatching a site soon, and your data will be extremely helpful for me.. Much obliged for all your help and wishing all of you the accomplishment in your business.
male grooming alderley edge

alex jou

A huge shout out to the writer who poured his soul into this blog.free tour stockholm

chang bur

Very rare to find such a marvelous blog, I feel lucky reading this.
http://wellnesscoachs.net/effective-supplement-that-protects-your-skin-from-dangerous-diseases/

alex jou

The blog is created in essential English with no longing towards composing.http://wellnesscoachs.net/effective-supplement-that-protects-your-skin-from-dangerous-diseases/

jaden smith

I can see that you are a specialist at your field! I am dispatching a site soon, and your data will be extremely helpful for me.. Much obliged for all your help and wishing all of you the accomplishment in your business.蔡小煒律師

alex jou

Been looking for such an amazing web journal like this for quite a while.psl live score

alex jou

It’s never too late to improve your information and your contents inspire me.holm law group san diego

alex jou

What could fill somebody's heart with joy other than perusing such perfectly created blog, for example, this.free tour stockholm

alex jou

The blog delineates how hard the essayist has taken a shot at this.psl live score

jaden smith

I read this bit of composing and view it as the quintessential blog.https://weheartit.com/samarcand1988

jaden smith

This blog had an extremely strong impact on me.
ShowBox APK

jaden smith

A huge shout out to the writer who poured his soul into this blog.Movie Box