chester britt

Dr. Chester Britt, chair of the Iowa State Department of Sociology

Chester Britt, professor and chair of the Department of Sociology, died Tuesday morning at the Israel Family Hospice House in Ames.

According to the department's website, Britt had experienced a severe reaction to a wasp sting while jogging on Tuesday, Aug. 16.

He was taken to the Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames, and later moved to the Israel Family Hospice House, said Paul Lasley, professor of sociology and anthropology. 

A memorial service has been set for this Saturday at 1 p.m at the Ames United Church of Christ. A reception will follow in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Britt has been a professor and chair of the sociology department at Iowa State since 2015. He graduated from the University of Iowa with a bachelors degree in 1984, Washington State University with a masters degree in 1986 and from the University of Arizona with a Ph.D in 1990.

Lasley is currently serving as the interim and acting chair of the department.

"Please continue to hold the Britt family in your thoughts and prayers," Lasley said in an email to the department.