Twelve years ago, 32 people were killed in the deadliest school shooting in America — a country where gun rights are uniquely enshrined in its founding documents. Rhetorically, the response to such crimes is instant and widespread. The legislative response, however, is far different.

In its April meeting, the Board of Regents plans to discuss various points such as the annual faculty tenure report and state audit reports. The Board of Regents will also review the initiative by Iowa State to award an honorary Doctor of Science degree to Robert Easter.

Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., announced his presidential campaign Monday on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. He will be holding a town hall at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

As the end of the spring term draws near, Faculty Senate is still at work with more improvements to Iowa State. This week's meeting included updates on the WorkCyte/Workday transition, new majors and minors, renaming degrees and the free speech bill passed by the Iowa Legislature.

Within the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights lies the freedom of speech — the fundamental principle in creating a society that allows citizens to voice their opinions and ideas without government intervention. This week, the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication will celebrate the First Amendment freedoms.

The term “unborn person,” came one step closer to being added to Iowa’s legislative lexicon as the “fetal homicide” bill passed the Iowa Senate Tuesday and was received by the House on Thursday.

The mass shooting at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand that has left 50 dead and 50 injured has raised questions about how extremists use the Internet and how the actions or inactions of giant tech companies affect the spread of hateful ideologies, such as white supremacy.

The Ames City Council was presented with petitions concerning bettering the environment in Ames and the lack of parking along Welch Avenue at their Tuesday night meeting.

After a two week break, Ames City Council will meet Tuesday to discuss issues involving further conference on rental regulations, additional resources for the CyRide Buses and the next reading of the ordinance requesting to increase water rates.

As another round of tuition increases looms over Iowa State, presidential hopeful Sen. Cory Booker joined Working Hero Iowa’s founder and state director for a town hall to discuss issues facing low-income Iowans.

Related Media