President Donald Trump officially kicked off his re-election bid Tuesday with a raucous rally in Florida — a perennial swing state which he won by a narrow 1.2% margin in 2016.

Lisa Heddens, a long-serving Iowa representative who represented Campustown and the Iowa State campus in the state legislature, has been appointed to fill the vacancy on the Story County Board of Supervisors.

Editors Note: A clarification has been sent to the Daily by Thomas Parks, communications manager for the Corn Refiners Association (CRA). President Trump was referring to the CRA and more than 950 other food and agriculture groups who wrote to call on Congress to support the ratification of USMCA when he said nearly 1000 groups endorsed the plan.

After spending the afternoon in Council Bluffs, at 5 p.m. President Donald Trump will be in West Des Moines for the Republican Party of Iowa’s “America First” dinner, where protestors will greet him, to “call out his climate denial.”

The Capital City Pride Fest Parade provided an opportunity for corporations, political aspirants, religious congregations and organizations of all kinds to march and show their support for, or pride in being a part of the queer community Sunday in Des Moines.

There was a cloudless blue sky and the temperature soared into the mid-80s for the Big Tent on the Prairie hosted by the Story County Democrats. County Chair Maddie Anderson said “at least” 400 people attended the event, at which three Democratic presidential candidates spoke and many other campaigns had a presence.

A new assistant city manager for the city of Ames has been selected after a vigorous recruitment process. Debra Schildroth, selected from a nationwide pool of 70 applicants, replaces Bob Kindred who served the city for nearly four decades, retiring in the spring.

Eddie Mauro is the second candidate to announce they are running for the Democratic party nomination for U.S. Senate to take on incumbent Republican Sen. Joni Ernst in the November 2020 election, having declared his bid May 20.

The Ames City Council repealed the Rental Cap Ordinance adopted in Spring 2018. The repeal comes in the wake of recently passed state legislation banning rental caps on single family homes and duplexes. While the city can no longer limit the number of rental properties in certain neighborhoods, occupancy changes made to the municipal code are unaffected by the new bill.

In addition to their regularly scheduled meeting, the Ames City Council will meet Tuesday night with the Ames Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Transportation Policy Committee and the Ames Historic Preservation Commission afterwards. The meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council chambers and is open to the public.

Related Media