Cory Newell

Cory Jackson Newell, 19, was arrested Thursday over an incident that occurred in August of 2018. 

Editor's note: The following story contains sensitive content regarding a sexual assault. 

An Iowa State student has been charged with assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, as first reported by the Des Moines Register.

Cory Jackson Newell, 19, was issued an arrest warrant Wednesday over an incident that occurred in August 2018, court documents show. He is listed in the Iowa State directory as a freshman in mechanical engineering.

Newell began to touch the victim's thigh and buttocks while in her room on Aug. 24, according to documents obtained by the Register. As she told him to stop, Newell overpowered the victim, grabbed her wrists and rolled his body over hers.

A statement from the victim to police said Newell then groped her again and put his hands down her pants, the Des Moines Register reported. Before leaving the room, he said “I always wanted to do that.”

A criminal complaint against Newell was first reported to the Iowa State Police Department in October, and he was arrested Thursday.

Newell has since been released with a court date scheduled for March 7, court records show.