HomecomingBanners2018_05.jpg

The Greek community displays banners featuring the 2018 homecoming theme “This is State” on central campus. The banner was created by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. Phi Kappa Psi, Alpha Delta Pi and Acacia.

An Iowa State sorority has been placed on deferred suspension for hazing. 

According to the Student Conduct website, Sigma Gamma Rho sorority was placed on deferred suspension in May 2019 through May 2021 due to hazing, disruption of rights and violation of conditions of recognition. 

Sigma Gamma Rho will have limited activity and access and will be required to “identify and implement” anti-hazing training during recruitment. 

The Des Moines Register wrote that two students from Sigma Gamma Rho filed harassment claims against four other sorority members April 21. 

Ames Police Department Commander Jason Tuttle said the two students filed the claim after a “verbal exchange of words,” and to his knowledge this incident was a result from a prior report to Iowa State. 

Tuttle said one of the two victims filed hazing claims to Iowa State prior to the harassment.

“One of the victims in this case told us that she had reported the incident several weeks prior to Iowa State, the hazing,” Tuttle said. “ … We don’t have anything that was reported to us as a hazing incident, and this incident happened after they reported to Iowa State.” 

Student Conduct and Iowa State Police Department have yet to respond to requests for comment on the hazing.