In the mid-afternoon of Monday, a mistake was made. While trying to send a survey to all students about student success, the composer of an email made a fatal mistake.

Instead of BCC'ing the list for all-students (which hides the name of the list and disables the "reply all" function), they simply filled in the name of the list in the "To:" section.

Students promptly realized that they had the key to every inbox on campus. 

ohno.jpg

Collin was among the first to reply. It seemed that they were preparing for the worst.

goodafternoon.jpg

Kyle wanted to make sure that everyone was greeted properly.

disappointment.jpg

Zachary had an important question about "student success."

dab.jpg

Samuel dropped a dab on the entire survey.

Then things started to get meme-y.

allstar.jpg

Logan sent the lyrics to the song "All Star" by Smash Mouth.

beemovie.jpg

Nicolas graced our inboxes with the entire script to the 2007 animated film "Bee Movie."

replywithdogs.jpg

Sydney figured to make the best of a hectic situation by asking for pictures of dogs from students.

dog.jpg

Aleya delivered.

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Rick Krieger

Email is one of those things that’s just a part of your life, period. Most of us know someone who has closed their Facebook account or refused to join in the first place in a little foot-stomping stand by their ego, and you might even know someone from email marketing services who is thrilled with themselves for not owning a smartphone. Unequal email power dynamics can happen for many reasons, a professional ladder discrepancy, an age discrepancy, a “customer’s always right” situation, a thing where many people are all emailing one person, but usually, it’s that the person writing the high-quality email wants and needs something from the person writing the low-quality email. Simple as that.