The spring blood drive will be hosted Monday through Thursday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union this week. 

Students, faculty and staff can stop by the blood drive anytime from 10 a.m to 5 p.m.

To make an appointment ahead of time, donors can go to the American Red Cross website and enter the word "cyclones" in the zip or sponsor code box in the upper right hand corner.

During the academic year, the Iowa State Blood Drive student organization hosts two blood drives, one in the spring and one in the fall. According to the its website, the student-run organization was founded in 1962. Additionally, the biannual blood drive has grown over the years to be known as one of the biggest student-run blood drives in the country, according to their website.

According to the Iowa State events page, someone in the United States needs blood every two seconds, and that one donation can save up to three lives.

The Iowa State Blood Drive is working with American Red Cross during the drive. According to the Iowa State events page, the drive "works with numerous blood centers from around the country, such as Red Cross, Life Serve, and Mississippi Valley Blood Center to help the shortage of blood in our hospitals."