PhotoWalk 004.jpg

A CyRide blue line bus travels eastward on Lincoln Way at sunset Sept. 18, 2016. CyRide recently received federal grant funding to purchase electric buses and infrastructure to support them.

CyRide will purchase new buses with electric batteries with funds it received from a federal grant.

Diesel buses that have gone beyond their “useful life” will be replaced with battery electric buses, and battery chargers and dispensers will be purchased for facilities to support those new buses.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarded CyRide a $1.66 million grant under the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) Low or No-Emission Grant program, which funds buses and infrastructure using “advanced propulsion technologies.”

An average transit electric bus costs about $750,000, according to Reuters. An average Diesel bus costs roughly $435,000. CyRide had 93 buses as of June 30, 2018.

Interim transit director of the Ames Transit Agency, Barbara Neal, said the grant is “terrific news” for CyRide, its riders and Ames as a whole.

“Supporting public transportation is a great way to reduce your own carbon footprint, while moving to electric buses will help CyRide reduce its emissions,” Neal said in a press release. “We are grateful for the funding and excited to implement this next phase of public transit improvements.”

The grant allows for the purchase or lease of buses powered by “modern, efficient technologies,” including: hydrogen fuel cells, battery electric engines and “related infrastructure investments” like charging stations.

The acting administrator of the FTA, K. Jane Williams, said the program has funded more than $300 million in new buses, infrastructure and training since it was created.

“[It has helped] create and maintain American jobs in a fast-growing industry,” Williams said in a press release.

Presu Pis

Cyride replacing older buses with new, electric buses which are now more efficient than the older models and can be serviced for shorter periods. What is new is the bus network, new technologies and designs and some of the improvements which can be made now. And to the extent that it can be done, that is an added advantage of using a new birmingham charter bus model. The fact that, unlike the new Ford Transit fleet, these newer buses are designed using standard bus-designing standards, and are easy to maintain means this is less of an issue than using an older model, and while the buses were designed to be more efficient, and have increased range due to the technology, they still have to be serviceable by the typical 30-40m range of the bus fleet.