Government of the Student Body President Jared Knight issued an executive order removing the position of Secret Service and clarifying the duties of the Sergeant-at-Arms and a small number of subsidiary Sergeants-at-Arms who will act in his or her absence.

Knight appointed Rajin Olson, senator and vice-speaker of the Senate, as the current Sergeant-at-Arms.

Olson was appointed at the GSB meeting on Jan. 30.

“It’s a position we need to have,” Knight said. “I should’ve got to it a while ago.”

Knight explained that the title of Sergeant-at-Arms comes with different responsibilities to different organizations.

“Its parliamentary tradition,” Knight said. “Several years ago the GSB had this position to enforce policies, and it has been vacant for a couple years. We needed to get it.”

For GSB, “the main responsibility will be making sure everyone is abiding by the social media policy,” Olson explained. “There are not very many duties required.”

Simply put, it is a position to enforce all GSB policies during meetings.

For example, the social media policy prevents students from checking Facebook and Twitter during meetings.

Due to the hectic schedules of college students, Knight and Olson established that Olson would not be able to attend every GSB meeting.

Their solution was to create a “secret service” that would consist of subsidiary Sergeants-at-Arms to take on the responsibility when Olson could not be present.

“If there has ever been a waste of Senate time, this is it,” Senator Daniel Rediske said after Olson presented the idea of the secret service at the Jan. 30 meeting while wearing sunglasses and making jokes. 

"I felt we were spending more time on a joke than we do examining some of the issues that actually affect students on the Senate floor," Rediske said. "I understand it was a joke and meant to be a bit of fun; I want GSB members to have fun. I just felt it had gone on too long."

Knight issued an executive order ending the secret service program saying, “it was a joke some people couldn’t get past.”

Olson explained that he and Knight had a "similar mindset" on the position.

“We had our own understanding of the job internally, and all others saw was the title,” Olson said.

After Knight and Olson discussed the issue with other GSB senators, they decided to drop the name.

The order still calls for subsidiary Sergeant-at-Arms, but eliminates the title of “secret service.”

There will be one, or at most two, subsidiary Sergeants-at-Arms.

“They would need to be at every meeting, and hopefully familiar with Senate,” Olson said. “We want this to be as transparent as possible, and we’re always looking for more students to get involved with GSB.”

The subsidiary candidates will be selected through an interview process. Regardless of how many subsidiaries there are, only one will serve at a time.

For further information on becoming a subsidiary Sergeant-at-Arms, contact Rajin Olson or Jared Knight.

Nick Shell
Nick Shell

"I felt we were spending more time on a joke than we do examining some of the issues that actually affect students on the Senate floor," Rediske said.

You can't examine the issues that actually affect students on the Senate floor if you skip half the meeting to campaign, Mr. Rediske.

gagekensler
Gage Kensler

I feel this comment by Mr. Shell is factually misleading. Senator Rediske’s attendance record is by far one of the best in senate currently and has always been. Dan in my opinion is one of the best senators to examine the issues that actually affect students. If you have concerns about that way in which senate operates or what any senator is doing I welcome discussing this in person instead of slinging factually misleading comments on the daily’s webpage.

Nick Shell
Nick Shell

It's not misleading.

Was Mr. Rediske late to the GSB meeting on Wednesday, February 15, 2013? Yes, he was. Where was he? He would tell you he was meeting with a student group. That is the truth, but not the whole truth. He was meeting with a student group to CAMPAIGN for the upcoming GSB election. So, Mr. Rediske's excuse for arriving late, Mr. Kensler, is misleading, not my earlier comment.

His first obligation to GSB and his constituents is as a senator, plain and simple.

bbsnell
Barry Snell

I really like how Spencer's friends are getting on here now and talking a bunch of crap that has NOTHING to do with the point of the article, and instead turning the discussion into an opportunity to continue Mr. Hughes' smear presidential campaign.

But since you want to make this about Mr. Rediske, Mr. Shell, rather than our current executive's silliness (a group which Spencer is a part of, incidentally) then here's some facts for you:
* In two years, Dan Rediske hasn't missed a Senate meeting.
* In those same two years, Mr. Hughes has missed several.
* Ask any GSB senator to count how many things Mr. Hughes has done for students (hint: they can be counted on one hand--notice how Spencer's presidential campaign is mostly about what he's *going* to do and not what he's actually done? That's because it's a pretty short list).
* Then ask any GSB senator to count how many things Mr. Rediske has done for students (get out a legal pad and set aside some time, because you're gonna be awhile and'll have to take some notes).

Oh, and P.S.: I'm really curious how you even knew Dan was late to the senate meeting since I know for a fact you weren't there. Could it be that Spencer told you about it and sent you to libel his opposition? Hmmm...

Now that the trick has been revealed, let's focus on the issues presented in this article, shall we? The Daily isn't Spencer's campaign tool.

Nick Shell
Nick Shell

I need to get something off of my chest:

Mr. Snell, you are one of the most arrogant and self-important people I have never met.

It is true that I am Spencer's friend; to that I will admit. However, I am not his puppet. He did not ask me to comment on this article. I'm merely a student expressing my concerns. I just think it's a bit hypocritical to talk to the newspaper about important matters on the Senate floor and show up late to the meeting. I'm not trying to single out Mr. Rediske. I've been told he's a nice guy. I just think that a senator's first obligation is attending Senate meetings. Campaigning for a higher office should be secondary. Additionally, Spencer isn't required to attend Senate meetings.

To say this newspaper is not Spencer's campaign tool, then covertly mentioning Mr. Rediske's accomplishments is also quite juvenile.

To be honest, I (a student) feel rather disrespected by you, Mr. Snell (a GSB senator who is supposed to represent students). Perhaps I should take a page from your book and demand a public apology.

I will not comment on this any further. If anyone has any questions about my comments, or would like to discuss anything further, my email address is listed on the directory.

bbsnell
Barry Snell

Mr. Shell, as you have pointed out, it is indeed my duty to represent students. As such, it is my duty to provide the truth about GSB activity to the public when that truth is misrepresented. Nothing I said is factually inaccurate, and if there's a question about any claim I have made, I would direct you to Speaker of the Senate Gage Kensler, who initiated the correction; he can provide you with the necessary records to prove my fact-based counter-assertions. Mr. Kensler's e-mail address may be found in the directory as well, and he would be very happy to provide them for you or anyone else who may be curious.

Furthermore, as you also have pointed out, you have never met me. I am therefore curious about your characterization of me and how that characterization was made without personal knowledge of me. So to better represent you, I will take you up on your offer to contact you and will request to meet with you so you can inform me in person of what exactly it is you believe I've done wrong. I'd be happy to hear your concerns.

Thank you for the offer to contact you. I look forward to seeing you soon.