UPDATE: 2:14 p.m.: Police said they plan to move the trailer that was connected to the truck in a half hour. During the pursuit, the trailer came unhinged from the truck that crashed onto Central Campus.

UPDATE 1:19 p.m.: Geoff Huff, investigations commander of Ames Police, said in an interview with KCCI that the pursuit started as a normal traffic stop. The chase then continued on to Central Campus.

Huff said the driver then tried to strike police officers with his truck. Gunshots were then fired by Ames Police officers. Huff said he did not know how many shots were fired or the condition of the driver.

There were no students in the area when shots were fired, according to Huff.

UPDATE 12:48 p.m.: The Iowa State Daily contacted Spring Green, the company the stolen truck was owned by. Spring Green employees had no comment on the stolen truck or police pursuit at this time.

UPDATE: 11:59 a.m.: Geoff Huff, investigations commander, said the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation is involved with the investigation with Ames and ISU Police.

UPDATE: 11:40 a.m.: Taylor-Erin Didesch, freshman animal sciences, was a student who had a first-hand encounter of the pursuit on Central Campus.

"I was walking back from taking my food science quiz ... and I heard the sirens go around the campus," Didesch said. "[The truck driver] tore through and went through one of the Homecoming signs."

Didesch said the truck flung backward onto campus and started coming toward her and her friend. It was when the truck went backward, Didesch said, that police fired at the driver of the truck.

The truck then crashed into a tree and Didesch began running away from the scene.

"We ran over to the trees over by the Hub because we thought that he was going to hit us. We thought for sure he was going to hit us," Didesch said.

UPDATE: 11:26 a.m.: Geoff Huff, investigations commander for Ames Police, said there were six to seven marked police units involved in the pursuit of a stolen truck. The pursuit began on Beach Avenue and continued on to Central Campus. 

Huff confirmed an individual was taken to Mary Greeley Medical Center but would not comment on the individual's condition.

UPDATE: 11:15 a.m.: John McCarroll, executive director of university relations, said classes will resume as normal. McCarroll also said one person was taken to the hospital. There were no other injuries.

UPDATE: 11:08 a.m.: Warren Madden, senior vice president for business and finance, said the suspect is under control. He was told by police that the truck was stolen. 

"I was in Beardshear Hall when I heard the noise and the shots and came out here and this... involved the Ames police chasing a stolen pickup truck," Madden said. "They have the suspect under control and that's all we know at this point. It doesn't appear there's any concern or any safety issue for anybody on the Iowa State campus at this point." 

UPDATE: 10:56 a.m.: Zach Rouw, freshman in mathematics, said he saw police pursuing a truck across Central Campus. Rouw also said he heard three gunshots. 

An ISU Alert was sent out to students at 10:55 a.m.:

"ISU Alert: Shots fired on central campus. Result of chase by Ames PD. No threat now. Situation resolved. Suspect in custody. Avoid affected area."

A truck has appeared to crash into a tree on Central Campus just south of McKay Hall. Multiple officers have arrived on the scene.

Officers are not commenting at this time. Check back with the Iowa State Daily as the story develops. 

Post a comment

Calee Himes

Was the person taken to the hospital the person driving the truck, or an innocent bystander?

Frick and Frack
Lee Van Brocklin

I hope the Daily has the courage to ask the hard questions of the APD for their actions that put ISU students at risk. Why chase a stolen vehicle at all, much less into a pedestrian intense part of town? Seems like a bad situation was made much worse and potentially fatal by chasing.

David Jackson
David Jackson

Lee, I have repeatedly pointed out less than professional actions by the ISU PD and Ames PD. The most recent being the bomb scare a couple weeks back that turned out to be a piece of styrofoam in a sock.

That being said, at this point anyway, it looks like they did everything right. Unless their actions pushed him towards campus when they could have stopped the chase earlier or pushed him in a different direction what the hell did they do wrong? Why chase a stolen vehicle you ask. Because it's stolen!