Standing as a colorful monolith in front of Curtiss Hall, the lone testing unit for the BigBelly solar trash compactor sits on campus. It will soon be joined by 11 newer, more advanced models spread throughout campus and ISU landmarks.

The solar trash compactor is essentially a trash can that can hold five times as much trash as the standard 25-gallon trash can by compacting the trash using solar energy. This will benefit Iowa State financially, environmentally and in the human resources department.

"This is an instance where we can still do very important things without spending a lot of money," said Merry Rankin, director of sustainability. "You can do great things without spending millions of dollars on a big project."

While the initial purchase of a solar trash compactor costs about $4,200, the turnaround to financial gain is within one to two years, Rankin said.

Because the compactor can hold five times as much garbage, waste personnel don't have to take time and resources to take out the garbage every day. In fact, the compactors reduce the cost of garbage pickup by 90 percent. 

Instead, the new trash compactors, once full, will send a wireless signal to waste facilities telling them to empty it. Because trips to pick up garbage will decrease from once a day to once a week, emissions from garbage trucks are also decreased by 80 percent.

By the end of next week, locations such as Central Campus, Parks Library, College of Veterinary Medicine and the transit facility in the Hilton Coliseum parking lot will have the solar trash compactors because they are in "high trash areas."

These are areas where trash cans have to be checked multiple times a day. Not every trash can is able to be replaced because of the time it would take to turn a profit. 

Funding for the new compactors comes directly from the Facilities Planning and Management budget. 

daf dsadff

You can indeed help the planet without spending too much money. If you check out the industrial blenders that you can find on the market, you can see how easy it can be to built your own recycling device in your backyard.

Zara Dolores

One of the main reasons why IU, or any city or organization would install solar trash cans is that they reduce the frequency of waste collections and dispatches dramatically. This is because a solar trash can is capable of triggering an automatic compaction of waste, effectively increasing the bin’s capacity by 5-8 times, according to compactor containers florida. This means that you will be able to fill 500-800 liters of waste in a 100-liter bin, and effectively move from daily collections to weekly collections.

Rufus Nermint

The upfront capital costs are $4,000 per existing trash can in low use parks of 414 trash cans, and these costs will be completely incurred in year zero. BigBelly Solar states that each solar compactor will need a battery replacement four to five years after installation, and house cleaning services bethesda md could do that. And when a Bigbelly can hold no more, it transmits a wireless signal to the garbage collectors, telling them it's time to make a pick-up.

Presu Pis

One of the main reasons why IU, or any city or organization would install solar trash cans is that they reduce the frequency of waste collections and dispatches dramatically. This is because a solar trash can is capable of triggering an automatic compaction of waste, effectively increasing the bin’s capacity by 5-8 times, according to roll off dumpster manufacturer. This means that you will be able to fill 500-800 liters of waste in a 100-liter bin, and effectively move from daily collections to weekly collections.