Updated 12:07 p.m. Friday, July 27

Annette Hacker of the ISU news service said the autopsy revealed that the cause of death was hanging and the manner of death was suicide. Hacker said the ISU news service is not choosing to release the name out of respect for the deceased.

Updated 11:36 a.m. Wednesday, July 25

Aaron Delashmutt, captain of the Iowa State University police division and the lead investigator on the case, said the woman was found in 3128 Frederiksen Court. A welfare check was requested by the university when the woman did not show up for class, which was unusual for her, said Annette Hacker of the ISU News Service. She was participating in a program through the College of Design, Delashmutt said. 

Delashmutt said the ISU police continues to work with the Dean of Students Office as well as the International Students and Scholars programs for help on this issue. 

ISU Police is the lead investigative agency on this case and is utilizing state investigative services as well. The state medical examiner is handling the autopsy. Autopsy should be completed and results released soon.

Updated 10:10 a.m. Wednesday, July 25

Martha Royer, Iowa State's Conference Coordinator, declined to comment on the issue. The Dean of Students office was also unavailable for comment at this time.

Updated 4:14 p.m. Tuesday, July 24

Annette Hacker of the ISU news service said the body has been positively identified. The name will not be released until notification has been given to the family.

A female body was found around 3 p.m. Monday, July 23 in 31 Frederiksen Court.

According to a news release, officials were responding to a welfare check request for a woman participating in a short-term academic program here on campus. She was visiting Iowa State from Korea and staying in building 31 of Frederiksen Court.

The body has not yet been identified, but it has been confirmed she was not an ISU student. The Division of Criminal Investigation is assisting ISU Police in the investigation.

Annette Hacker of the ISU news service, said it was reported the student was not in class today, which was unusual for her. It was not a standard ISU class, and the woman was with a visiting group.

Hacker did not believe more information will be available tonight.

At this time, James Dorsett, director of International Students and Scholars Office, and Tom Hill, vice president of Student Affairs, were unavailable for comment.

The ISU Police Captain, Aaron DeLashmutt, reported he was unable to comment as the investigation was still ongoing at this time.

Brittney Rutherford, marketing coordinator for the Department of Residence, said records of suicides at Frederiksen Court are not kept by the Department of Residence. Rutherford also noted that she was unsure where records of a suicides at Iowa State were kept or if suicides were recorded by the university. The death of the visiting student has not been officially ruled a suicide by police with the investigation still pending.

Check back with the Daily for continuing updates on this story. 

Andrew Woods

This event is a tragedy and unprecedented, but I feel like taking pictures of the girl's body being wheeled out of the building is disrespectful. I understand that you need to be thorough but I think journalism can step back a bit if you want to respect the young woman and her friends and family.

Cody Hoover

How truly terrible it is to hear about something like this :-( I am inclined to agree with Andrew. Showing a picture of the building and of the hallway is fine as it gives the readers context for where this happened, but actually seeing the body wheeled out is, in my personal opinion, unnecessary.

Stephanie Niccum
Stephanie Niccum

I agree with the other two posts... Taking a picture of her being wheeled out in a body bag is terribly disrespectful and unprofessional in that matter.... Please show some respect for this woman and her family....

yanchao jin
Yanchao Jin

they only care when somebody died isn't that too late? they should increase the safety around here at least install the damn security camera we are not paying $12000 to school to living in a not safety place

Alex Hosch

Wow, Iowa State never ceases to amaze me. Show some respect. Why would you show her being reeled out? What is running through your head? You guys are sick. Very disrespectful, but hey, that is what the university does best...

Lisa Engler

@Yanchao: Have you ever been in a Frederiksen Court apartment? There are cameras everywhere in those buildings. Pair that with CAs always on call and it's way safer than most other apartments in Ames. Unfortunately, you can't prevent everything.