A leader in the national greek community will present tips to maintain a balanced student life

Mary Peterson, first and current executive director of Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc. and Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority National Sorority Inc., is a featured speaker in the Memorial Union in the Sun Room on Wednesday at 6 p.m.

Peterson's speech, "Alcohol, Sex, and Stress: How Not to Make an A.S.S of Yourself," will address how students can balance their social lives, school and stress.

According to the ISU Office of Greek Affairs' website, Peterson has spoken at more than 100 college campuses and major events coast-to-coast, during her career.

With a master’s degree in leadership, policy and planning from the University of Iowa, Peterson is also the former executive director of the Mid-American Panhellenic Council Association and associate executive director of the Mid-American Interfraternal Council Association.

Peterson served as the former associate director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Iowa for more than 24 years and was credited with establishing Dance Marathon at the University of Iowa in 1994, according to the ISU Office of Greek Affairs' website.

Peterson's awards include the University of Iowa's Staff Excellence Award and Association of Fraternity Advisors' Diversity Initiatives Award, for which she was the inaugural recipient. In addition, Peterson was the first woman to receive the National Interfraternity Conference Gold Medal Award, which is the group's highest honor.

“It’s going to be nice having someone who isn’t just telling us what to do and lecturing to us,” said Sean Duggan, freshman in aerospace engineering and member of Kappa Sigma.