The annual trick-or-treating night for Ames will be celebrated Wednesday, Oct. 31. Suggested hours are from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
According to a news release from the city of Ames, the Ames Police Department offered some of the following suggestions in order to keep children safe.
- Slow down in residential areas.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Pay extra attention at crosswalks and intersections.
- Pick a safe location and turn on hazard lights when picking up/dropping off children.
- Consider turning on the vehicle’s headlights prior to dusk.
- Talk openly about safety and the expectations for the night.
- Carry a cellphone if possible.
- Never enter a stranger’s home or vehicle.
- Don’t trick or treat alone.
- Remove all hazards from steps, porches and sidewalks.
- Keep candles away from combustible materials.
- Report any suspicious behavior to the Ames Police Department at 515-239-5133.