Power was out on campus early Tuesday morning and returned as of 7:15 a.m. Tuesday, affecting stop lights and buildings on the north, east and south sides of campus, along with steam and cooling levels at the university.

The campus lost the connection to the City of Ames due to failure in a transformer, Utility Services Director Jeff Whit said, which contributed to the outage.

Iowa State has the capability to generate all the electricity for the campus with its own generators or can choose to purchase electricity, according to a utility consumption webpage for the university. 

That website says Iowa State purchases electricity a day ahead on the Midwest Independent System Operator (MISO) open market, which manages and operates the electrical grid in the upper Midwest. Iowa State schedules power a day in advance for each hour of the following day, according to the webpage. Operators at the Iowa State power plant work closely with operators at the City of Ames power plant to coordinate power purchases from MISO whenever it is more economical.

According to Real Time Energy Consumption charts on that webpage, gas to the boilers dipped into the negatives during the outage while purchased power remained unaffected.

Iowa State also purchases electricity from a wind farm located approximately 15 miles northeast of Ames. The quantity of the power available from the wind farm varies continuously with the wind speed.

Iowa State Police sent out a message via Twitter at 6:58 a.m. Tuesday morning letting the community know that stop signs would be placed at non-working stop lights.

Facilities, Planning and Management is also working on returning air conditioning to the buildings affected. All steam and cooling was affected, and due to the heat, will take awhile to return to campus. Temperatures are likely to go over 100 degrees fahrenheit today with the heat index.

"It's going to be humid and warm from the buildings," Whit said. "People need to take normal precautions for the heat."

According to a  utility website, the ISU Power Plant has several systems that work together to cool the campus. Whit said the steam, produced by one system for the others, was affected by the outage.

The steam is used to generate electricity, heat the campus and to produce chilled water for cooling the campus buildings.

Cooling has been steadily returning since 8:30 a.m., according to data collected in real time at the plant. Yesterday, cooling peaked at 3586.933 tons.

For perspective, a typical home air conditioner is rate at 2 to 3 tons of cooling, according to the utility webpage. tons. As of 9:30 a.m., the university was at 894.334 tons. 

junior ionut

Proponents of the technology speculate that even if BPL is not accepted as a viable way to deliver high-speed Internet access, it may find a place in helping consumers to manage their energy consumption. The broadband power divider is very use to be used in data transmission. High-speed data transmission between electrical plugs in a building would allow devices such as thermostats, appliances and smart meters to communicate with each other.

Amanda Baird

If you already know from the Vendor that there would be 3 Units of Electricity consumption per month for the device then you can reverse calculate the Power Adapter to be rated at 4.17 Watts. Caveat here is 3 units is a rounded off figure mentioned by the vendor and not decimal precise. The broadband power divider can help you reduce the amount of time. You can use communications between transformers. It requires some additional circuitry. It has a name BPL. Broadband Power lines. It does work. But the radiation of signals from power lines has major issues. Cell phone interference.

Conrad Gunt

nice article you have. This in turn have some influence to businesses in Singapore. http://81aircon.com/aircon-service/

Conrad Gunt

Aircon maintenance is very imporatant. Interesting article as this relates to my company which provides Aircon Services.

junior ionut

Air conditioning services are good to use provided that the unit is properly maintained. An air conditioner in good condition helps to circulate filtered air inside the room. This air is free from dust and dirt particles, smoke, microorganisms, bacteria etc. Due to this, healthy environment is created inside the room and the health of people is improved. Check out the ductless air conditioning repair burlington ma if you need a fast repair. If the air conditioning unit is not properly maintained then it cause some serious health problems like harm effect on skin, effects respiratory system, can exaccerbate eye conditions such as conjunctivitis and blepharitis, and so on.

Charlie Dejei

Sometimes, however, repairs are necessary whether it's fixing the evaporator, capacitor, or condenser or recharging the refrigerant. Take a look at the hvac hampton va if you need help with a quotation. Cost of ac repair can vary, depending on the company from where you are getting services.

Charlie Dejei

Every machine requires repairing and maintenance. Air condition is also a machine which we use in excess usually in the scorching summers. It works throughout the summers so it requires timely repair and maintenance. Take a look at the ac repair Corpus Christi TX for more details. Sometimes these machines don't work correctly then a person came and fix the problem that person called Air-Conditioning Repairer.