Several student and academic services have recently moved to a new home on campus thanks to a start-up gift of $5 million from the Ernst P. Lied Foundation.

As of the beginning of the semester, several campus services moved into the new Hixson-Lied Student Success Center, located across the street from the Maple-Willow-Larch dormitories. Construction for the center started in July 2005.

"The environment was challenging, so we had some delivery problems, but nothing major related to the building's construction," said Dean McCormick, assistant director for construction services.

The project was funded entirely by private donations.

Most of the construction is complete with only the landscaping and some site work left to finish, McCormick said.

The new building was designed to be modern, yet blend in with the surrounding buildings such as Maple-Willow-Larch, said Dean Morton, university architect.

"It also provides a focal point for the program being housed there," he said.

Hixson-Lied project manager and university architect, Tom Oftedal, said the building provides large study areas and wireless Internet.

Although there will not be as abundant an amount of resources as available to students at Parks Library, it will give students a place to study, Oftedal said.

Many students who are involved in the programs will use the new facility, which will help students achieve academic success, Oftedal said.

Debra Sanborn, interim director for the Academic Success Center said there are many programs that will occupy the new facility including supplemental instruction, academic intervention program, exam accommodations, a division of disability resources, the Rod and Connie French Athletic Academic Center, the Christina Hixson Opportunity Awards Program and the National Student Exchange program.

Disability Resources is the only program of the Academic Success Center services that will remain in the Student Services Building.

Along with all the divisions, there are individual tutoring rooms that were created to enhance the learning environment for students as well.

"This is truly a student-centered building, and we hope students can make it their study home," Sanborn said.

"We designed it for students in mind."

Christina Hixson, originally from Clarinda, worked with Ernst Lied for more than 30 years.

Hixson became the sole trustee of the Lied Foundation Trust after Lied's death in 1980.

She has made many donations to ISU students through a scholarship fund at Iowa State.

The dedication for the Hixson-Lied Student Success Center will take place at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 23.