Even without signs or symptoms, students can still be carriers of genital herpes.

Herpes can be spread 10 percent of the time without symptoms, according to a recent study by the Journal of the American Medical Association.

“Knowing that not all people know they are infected makes me worried; more people should definitely get tested,” said Kayla Zumbach, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication.

Herpes is a commonly transmitted disease caused by the herpes simplex virus.

According to the American Sexual Health Association, it is estimated that one in six adults in the United States is infected. Many people have no symptoms and do not realize they are infected or could pass it along.

There are two types of infection. Type II, which is genital herpes, and type I, oral herpes, which causes cold sores on the mouth and lips.

“This is important; we see a lot of herpes I here [at the student health center],” said Dr. Cosette Scallon. “If a person has not had cold sores in the past and has oral sex with someone with a cold sore, they can get genital herpes.”

In most cases the first herpes outbreak of sores, blisters and ulcers is the most severe, occurring a few weeks after infection. However, these symptoms do not always show.

“If the affected area is higher in the vagina or cervix in a woman, she may never have any pain, may just have a change in discharge, which could go unnoticed,” Scallon said.

After the initial outbreak, the virus goes to a group of nerves at the base of the spine in a latent stage with occasional outbreaks. The only way to make sure someone does not contract it is to make sure their partner gets tested.

“Asking someone to get tested is not a bad thing,” Zumbach said. "It shouldn’t be an embarrassing topic.”

If symptoms don't show, there are many ways to be tested for the virus.

Blood tests are used when someone believes they might have the herpes virus, but has no visible signs. This test detects antibodies and a positive result indicates that the person was infected with herpes some time in the past, but they are not usually able to pin point when or from who it was received.

“Many people are positive for herpes type I, perhaps up to 90 percent of the population, so a positive blood test is not always very helpful,” Scallon said.

The results of antibody blood tests may be negative early on during the initial infection, since the formation of antibodies takes a few weeks.

“Sometimes the test is falsely negative,” Scallon said. “So we discourage obtaining the blood test under most circumstances."

The most sensitive test is the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test; it identifies the virus in cells and secretions from the urinary and genital tracts.

If someone is aware that they have the herpes virus, treatment needs to be searched for; contrary to popular belief, condoms do not protect you completely from the virus.

“Condoms are not 100 percent [reliable],” Sallon said. “Transmission is skin-to-skin. Since condoms do not protect you 100 percent, it is just another reason testing is best.”

Herpes stays with an individual forever. Once infected, symptoms will reoccur; this is why it is important to stop the spread of the virus by making sure students get tested even if they show no signs.

“Because there is no cure, people should take more precautions,” Zumbach said.

The best prevention of the herpes virus is to raise awareness. Traditional lectures and pamphlets may not be the best way.

“It’s hard to educate people in college because they don’t want to hear about it,” Zumbach said. “The best way to spread the message more would be advertising. It's hard to miss billboards and signs on the CyRide.”

chantel SUSANNE

There are herbal therapies that could

totally eradicate Genital Herpes from the

body mean while there has been proofs and

lots of testimonies to that effect. I took

my time to investigate one Dr.Gbagada on how

his herbs magically cured my friend craig

and his girl friend who contacted this

embarrassing sickness. Please do reach out

to Dr. Gbagada via his email:
drgbagadaherbalhome@hotmail.com phone

+2347063492184 Please don't die in pains and

shame contact him

matha anne

God bless Dr.Emuan for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2014 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. Emuan,how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES,thank you Dremuansolution@gmail.com

RITA ANDREW

HE IS THE ONLY HERBALIST THAT HAVE CURE FOR ORAL AND GENITAL HERPES,TRY AND SEE FOR YOURSELF...

TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS WITHIN 7DAYS[with Herbal Traditional medicine].

I was just 25 when I contracted Genital herpes.Other than the first two months of being symptomatic, for the next two years, I never had any relapses. So, it was no big deal to me.Then, when I was 27, 90% of my days, nights, weeks and months were spent having constant, chronic, painful, blistering, itching, oozing and extremely contagious sores encompassing every layer of skin surrounding my genitals, anus and thighs.No sooner did one area heal then another outbreak occurred. When those sores healed, the previously healed area would crop up again, and so on and so on . . .
Believe me, I tried everything including BHT, Lysine, acyclovir, creams, lotions, toothpaste, zorivax 5% cream and pills too, bleach, (I would dab it on with a q-tip), ice, anything and everything.As if the sores weren't enough, there was the horrid pain of neuralgia, which I experienced on every part of my body, (you can't imagine how painful it gets when it's on your face!). . When I took a shower, even though the water temperature was normal, it would feel like hot drops of grease or cold drops of sleet.On one faithful day i read a testimony on internet of a lady who was cure by HERBALIST Called SAMBOLA herbs,so i contacted the same herbalist who send herbal cure to me through FEDEX company and i take the herbs for 1 week and i was fully cure after i got tested by my Doctor.You can also contact this herbalist via; Herbalistsambola@gmail.com OR Herpesherbalcure@gmail.com.

He also have a herbal cure for,
URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
CANCER,
IMPOTENCE,
BARENESS/INFERTILITY
DIARRHEA
ASTHMA...
CURE YOUR SELF FROM THAT ILLNESS TODAY,DON’T SPREAD YOUR INFECTION OR DISEASES TO OTHER INNOCENT PEOPLE.
Contact him now and you will have a testimony…Good luck

RITA ANDREW

He also have a herbal cure for,
URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
CANCER,
IMPOTENCE,
BARENESS/INFERTILITY
DIARRHEA
ASTHMA...

RITA ANDREW

[thumbup]HE IS THE ONLY HERBALIST THAT HAVE CURE FOR ORAL AND GENITAL HERPES,TRY AND SEE FOR YOURSELF...

He also have a herbal cure for,
URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
CANCER,
IMPOTENCE,
BARENESS/INFERTILITY
DIARRHEA
ASTHMA...

RITA ANDREW

He also have a herbal cure for,
URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
CANCER,
IMPOTENCE,
BARENESS/INFERTILITY
DIARRHEA
ASTHMA...
[happybirthday][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Barbara Keltner

I never believed i would be healed someday. I want to testify on how i got cured from HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, I got infected with HERPES disease in 2013 and I have visited several Hospitals, spiritualists and pastors for cure but all to no avail, my Life was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a powerful herbal Dr who casts herbal spells to cure all kinds of deadly diseases including HIV AIDS, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Hepatitis, Cancer, Herpes1/2 etc, so i wrote telling him about my illness he told me not to worry that i an going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr Boadi assured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my medical doctor for test to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE it was HERPES he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just contact him on via email:{drboadiherbalcentre@yahoo.com}

Barbara Keltner