Time is running out to find the perfect apartment off campus, and some may wonder if it’s really worth it to move away from campus living.

All the things to consider when thinking about moving away from the comfort zone of the residence halls can be overwhelming, but taking it one step at a time can make things more manageable.

Even with the glamour of living by yourself and doing your own thing, there are students who believe it’s not always the best step.

Zaak Barnes, sophomore in political science, feels that he and many of his classmates aren’t ready to take the big leap.

“I’m not comfortable signing the lease for an apartment," Barnes said. "For example, when’s the last time you read the terms and agreements for something like iTunes or an online gaming site?” 

There are properties in Ames that cater specifically to college students, including University West, which is located by Ames Middle School.

Places like these understand how hard the transition can be from having structured living like a dorm floor to off-campus living, and take steps to make it as easy as possible.

“We do everything we can to be student-friendly with the mindset that ISU students will be living here," said Laura Kilbride, community manager at University West.

"All of our leasing consultants are current ISU students, so they are easily relatable and can understand the residents’ position," Kilbride said. "Moving off campus is a big transition and our leasing consultants have experienced this transition, so we are as helpful as possible when guiding new residents.”

Kilbride said another benefit of University West properties is the location, which is near three CyRide stops.

"We have several resident activities throughout the year, such as finals week biscuits and gravy, pool parties in the summer, cutest pet contest and Cyclone football trivia during the fall,” Kilbride said.

Then there’s the question of how much money you’ll be spending to live off campus versus living on campus.

Students in the dorms can expect to pay anywhere from $2000 to as high as $5000 in halls such as Eaton or Martin per semester.

However, a typical apartment can range between upper $200s to $600 per month depending on how many roommates you choose to have.

Another cost to consider is food. Most students have a meal plan, which can often lead to wasted money with leftover meals. Many have to ask themselves if it is worth it to trade easy, accessible meals for cheaper, do-it-yourself meals.

Taya Ohms, junior in mechanical engineering, thinks it’s not worth it.

“I stayed in my dorm this year mostly because of the time and the convenience; it’s right by the food, the gym and my classes," Ohms said.  "I don’t have to worry about driving anywhere.”

A lot of apartment complexes in Ames offer free or cheap amenities such as cable and Internet features, but students often forget the trade-offs.

Some bus routes can take up to 15 minutes to campus from locations that are farther away, a hassle for getting to class on time.

Places are filling up quickly, but remember to do your research first. Moving off campus has its perks and drawbacks, but students need to be ready for that kind of commitment.

John Bowie
John Bowie

Students who do not feel comfortable living away from the campus, they should seek out places which are near their campus. But before signing any contract they should consider going through the terms and conditions. Moving to a new place could become a hassle free task, these days you can find all the moving service providers online including corporate office movers Atlanta GA.

John Bowie
John Bowie

Not many students feel comfortable in living in a place which is away from the campus. However, the authorities should renovate the place to add more rooms and they should also hire a roofing company which offers residential and commercial roofing in Houston area to fix the old roof.

Scott Garcia
Scott Garcia

Students who live away from campus they often have to face problems like getting late for their classes. However, the authorities should construct enough buildings for the accommodation of the students. To make living comfortable for the students they can install air jet tub in the bathroom and should also install best HVAC appliances.

Scott Garcia
Scott Garcia

If the students can find their accommodation near campus then they should not choose any other location. However, the authorities now have to build big accommodation facilities and before finalizing a land for this purpose, they should contact groundwater surveyors first.

John Bowie
John Bowie

Often students find it difficult to live away from the campus, so it is best to find a place which is much near the campus area. However, the authorities should build more accommodation facilities for the students and most importantly for water supply they should install dewatering pumps.

Scott Garcia
Scott Garcia

It is so much better if accommodation is provided near campus so that the students can reach their classes in time. However, the authorities should consider creating a comfortable environment by installing the best HVAC system. It is best to change the old parts once a year, now most such parts could be available online including air compressor filters.