Below is information about the five candidates running for the Ames City Council. Three candidates are running to represent Ward 4, one is running to represent Ward 2 and one is running to be an at-large.

Rachel Junck – Ward 4

• Plans to make Ames carbon-neutral and to lower waste production
  • Campaign focuses on investing in Ames' housing market
  • Wants to make Ames a place where young people will want to stay after graduation

Chris Nelson – Ward 4

• Plans to finish Ames 2040 plan
  • Plans to create greenhouse gas inventory using data to develop a greenhouse gases income plan 
  • Wants to encourage young voters at the university level

Joe Van Erdewyk – Ward 4

• Plans to create a tight-knit community focused on realities of housing for students, families and single adults
  • "So when I am a Council member, that is exactly where my policies will always start — talking with residents, knowing what's on their mind," Van Erdewyk said.
  • Campaign focuses on the affordable housing crisis in Ames

Tim Gartin – Ward 2

• Has goals to improve community by working together with the Council
  • Wants to encourage young voters to vote in local elections throughout Ames
  • Wants to make Ames a place where people settle and get big jobs after graduation

Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen – at-large

• "My goals in my next term would be to continue to lead Ames to be both a cooler and more inclusive city," Beatty-Hansen said.
  • Focuses on affordable housing and transportation
  • While at Iowa State, Beatty-Hansen was the president of the LGBTA Alliance (now known as The Pride Alliance) and a member of Student Government.