IMG_9979.jpg

Members of the Senior Variety Show blow giant bubbles while riding though Downtown Ames during the 2018 Fourth of July Parade.

The annual Fourth of July parade will begin 11 a.m. Thursday on Main Street, and Ames Public Relations Officer Susan Gwiasda said, as always, there is a shortage of volunteers for the parade.

“[The parade] just requires so many people,” Gwiasda said.

Among other positions, the parade needs a set-up crew, people to man barricades and a clean-up crew.

Those interested in volunteering can sign up here by indicating which position they are interested in filling, providing their name, an email and how many will be volunteering.

The city hosts a pancake breakfast before the parade each year. Gwiasda said they are generally able to fully staff the event with volunteers from city staff, their families and members of City Council.

The pancake breakfast is free and runs from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Thursday in front of City Hall.

“The line can get to be one or two blocks long,” Gwiasda said.

Gwiasda said the city is concerned about the possibility of severe weather. It rained the first year they held the breakfast, though they now have a tent.

“If it’s raining, we would just get wet,” she said.

If there is a severe weather warning, Gwiasda said the city would cancel the event, to err on the side of caution.