Cabaret p

Jacob Hopson, who plays the role of the Master of Ceremonies, and the Kit Kat Girls and Boys do their ending pose for the opening number during a dress rehearsal for the musical Cabaret. The musical runs Nov. 4, 5, 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 6 and 13 at 2 p.m. in Fisher Theatre.

The lights turn on and off, members of the cast check their microphones and the orchestra booms with sound as it warms up before the dress rehearsal starts. 

Cabaret is a show presented by ISU Theatre and Music. The story takes place in Berlin, Germany, during the rise of the Nazi party. Sally Bowles, a member of the Kit Kat Klub, dreams of marrying rich and becoming an actress. And even though it seems like the end of the world, the Master of Ceremonies at the Kit Kat Klub wants to bring entertainment to the country.

To bring the story to life, the members of ISU Theatre and Music put forth a lot of work.

During production, students and designers build and paint the sets, turning the stage into a nightclub. Costumes are designed to fit the time period and the cast members who wear them.

Lighting is designed to bring drama and shine spotlight on the main characters. Props are placed to add dimension and realistic features to the musical. All of this work comes together during the final rehearsals the week of the premiere show.

Sound is tested to ensure the beautiful music fills the entire auditorium, cast members warm up and the final measures are taken before the rehearsal begins.

Cabaret p

Three cast members of the musical Cabaret perform during a rehearsal. The musical runs Nov. 4, 5, 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 6 and 13 at 2 p.m. in Fisher Theatre.

The first few rehearsals are done with only a few costume pieces. The director pauses the show to add in corrections, so everything runs smoothly during the production.

Later in the week, cast members put on their costumes and makeup and run through the show. They show emotion and dance their hearts out. The director and others working on the show applaud them from the audience. Rehearsals like these prepare the production to be at its best by the time it is shown to the public.

Cabaret will run at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and at 2 p.m. Sunday. It is directed by Brad Dell, musically directed by Donald Simonson and choreographed by Valerie Williams.

More information on the production can be found on the ISU Theatre website.

Jerrif R.

There is a category of people who adore cabaret performances. This type of play is hard work because it is a dynamic play, funny and ludic, which also involved the audience. People should be happy to see the New York city cabaret, which is a unique representation of this type of art.