finish food

This week's installment of "cheap eats" provides a recipe for teriyaki chicken.

This week’s installment of “Cheap Eats” comes in the form of a tasty lunch/dinner that is not only easy to make but also healthy and delicious. With the ingredients provided, it is possible to make up to six meals of equal portions, all for under $10. All prices are approximate and vary by store and location.

Ingredients to purchase:

Stir fry chicken breasts: $4

Broccoli and cauliflower medley: $2.50

1 pound bag of brown/white rice: $1

Teriyaki sauce: $2

Ingredients for one meal:

4 ounces of stir fry chicken breast

1 ½ cups vegetable medley

¼ cup teriyaki sauce

1 cup white/brown rice

Preparation:

1. Place 1 cup rice in rice cooker or pot. If in a pot, boil 1 ¾ cups of water before putting rice in. Put the rice in and cover. Turn to low-medium heat. If in a rice cooker, place water and rice in at the same time, put on the lid and press cook. The cooker will do the rest. In a pot, stir the rice until the water has been completely soaked up. This takes approximately 15-20 minutes.

food

Let the vegetable and chicken simmer in teriyaki sauce, stirring regularly.

2. Next, warm a pan on medium-high heat for approximately 5 minutes to warm up. Place chicken in the pan. Let the chicken brown on one side—approximately 2-4 minutes—then flip. Once both sides are browned, reduce heat to medium. Allow the chicken to become slightly firmer—this takes another two minutes. Stir regularly. 

3. Add vegetables to chicken pan. Keep on medium heat. Pour ¼ cup teriyaki sauce into the pan and cover. Allow the chicken and vegetables to simmer in the sauce for 2 minutes unbothered, before stirring regularly for the duration of the cooking. Cook the mixture for another 5 minutes.

4. Place cooked rice in a bowl. Also add chicken and vegetable mixture after vegetables become soft but not squishy. Stir the mixture until all ingredients are distributed evenly.

5. Serve on a plate and enjoy.