Bandshell Park pictured in 1934 and again in 1935.
The older picture shows the framework of the structure. The H.L. Munn Lumber Company is behind the bandshell.
The picture from 1935 shows the completed structure.
The Bandshell Park in Ames was dedicated in June of 1935. Previously, the park was known as City Park and is the first and oldest park in the city of Ames. The land was gifted to Ames in 1884 by the Iowa Railroad Land Company. The bandshell itself was constructed between 1934 and 1935.
The bandshell is classified as being part of the modern movement, according to the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by Iowa State College Faculty Grover M. Pratt.
Other structures in the park date back to the early 1900s.
The park has undergone $700,000 in renovations which range from lighting and landscaping to things such as benches, walkways and containers for garbage.