IMG_8465.jpg

Iowa State sophomore Wyatt Rhoads runs in the mens 60 meter hurdles prelims in February of 2017. Rhoads had a time of 8.67.

The Iowa State men’s track and field team saw mixed results in the Husker Invitational on Friday.

Wyatt Rhoads competed in four of the seven heptathlon events on Friday. He is currently in 13th place in the event, although he did record his personal best in the shot put with a throw of 11.37 meters. Rhoads will be competing in the 60-meter hurdles, the pole vault and the 1000-meter run tomorrow to finish his weekend.

Vlad Pavlenko was able to secure fourth place in the weight throw with a throw of 19.82 meters, which earned him 65-00.50 points. Chris Celona finished sixteenth in this event and Brett Peters finished twenty-fifth. Pavlenko has been a huge performer for the Cyclones so far this year.

big 12 indoor track day one-17.jpg

ISU sophomore Chris Celona competes in the men's weight throw during the Big 12 Indoor Championships at the Lied Rec Center Feb. 26. Celona placed eighth with a best throw of 17.37 meters. 

Perhaps the biggest success of the day was Frank Hayes. Hayes finished fifth in the 400-meter dash and was able to record his best indoor time of his career with a time of 48.68 seconds.

The Cyclones will have more athletes competing tomorrow, so it’s not surprising to see only a handful of results. They will look to have better results tomorrow in both Lincoln and Boston as they continue on with the indoor season in the wake of the Iowa State Classic.