The bell rings.

One lap to go.

Chaos.

The Iowa State men’s track and field team came home this weekend and played host to some heavy competition on the first day of the meet.

“From a logistics standpoint, it’s just so much easier” said redshirt sophomore John Nownes on the advantages of playing at home.

Big12meet20.JPG

Freshman Cyclone trio, Sam Clausnitzer, Greyson Dolezal, and John Nownes, run in the 1000 meters during the Big 12 Conference Meet in Lied Rec Facility Feb. 25. Clausnitzer finished 16th overall with a time of 8:27.84. Dolezal finshed 18th with a time of  8:29.01. Nownes finshed 20th with a time of 8:30.12.

Nownes, along with junior Greyson Dolezal both ran their best 3000-meter runs ever this Friday with times of 8:11.11 and 8:11.38 respectively.

Redshirt junior Nathan Rodriguez ran in a later heat and finished just above both of them with a time of 8:09.49.

The 3000-meter was revived again later in the day with the much-anticipated performances of sophomores Andrew Jordan and Edwin Kurgat.

Mens 5000 Meter

Freshman Andrew Jordan runs in the Mens 5000 Meter Feb 24th during the Big 12 Track and Field Meet. Jordan came in 4th with a time of 14:25.63

Jordan ran one of his best races and finished just under his personal best at 7:57.04, but it was Kurgat who stole the show.

“I was feeling good before the start of the race,” Kurgat said. “When I was on my last lap I was like I think I’m still feeling great.”

Kurgat thrived off the sound of that bell and had a blistering final lap that gave him a time of 7:56.40. It was his personal best by almost 20 seconds. The transfer to Iowa State has seemed to run smoothly for him.

With Jordan and Kurgat, the Cyclones have to be very happy with how their distance runners have been performing so far this season.

However, not everyone had their best day. Junior Vlad Pavlenko was not impressed with how he did today.

iowa state classic-7.jpg

Iowa State junior Vlad Pavlenko yells while competing in the men's weight throw during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 9, 2018. Pavlenko had a best throw of 61-5 1/2.

“I didn’t do too well. I just didn’t know what I was doing.” Pavlenko said. “I had a bomb of a throw earlier this season. I’ve been trying to match it and do the same thing.”

Pavlenko has been impressive this year and he seems ready to bounce back from his forgettable performance as the indoor season comes to an end.

The Cyclones however, have looked good so far this weekend and will look to keep it up as they send out the other half of the team on Saturday.